Health and safety
Employees have health and safety duties as well as employers. This reflects the fact that for good safety management it is essential for the employer and employees to work together.
An employee's duties are to:
- take reasonable care of the health and safety of themselves and of others who may be affected by what they do or do not do
- cooperate with the employer on health and safety matters
- not misuse any equipment that is provided for safety purposes (eg fire extinguishers or safety goggles)
- follow instructions from the employer on health and safety matters and attend relevant health and safety training
- report hazards and defects observed in the workplace.
Most school or college health and safety policies include these duties.