Almost 1 in 5 (19%) of pupils did not meet the expected phonics standard in year 1 (6 year olds) in 2016. Although by the end of year 2 more than 9 in 10 pupils (91%) met the standard 9 percent of pupils were still without a secure knowledge of phonics. This will impede their ability to become accurate and fluent readers and spellers.
This training event identifies pupils’ difficulties learning phonics. It provides strategies to teach phonics at wave 2 and 3 across the key stages demonstrating how to embed this learning into reading and spelling. Innovative ways to achieve this are demonstrated and practiced in this interactive session.
- Problems learning phonics.
- Identifying phonological deficits.
- Teaching phonological awareness.
- Teaching grapho-phoneme knowledge.
- Embedding new phonics knowledge into reading and spelling.
- Strategies for teaching and learning spelling irregular words.
Audience: Primary, Secondary and Further Education: SENCOs / Teachers / TA’s / SLA’s