We will explore safe and effective ways which may be helpful in supporting a young person experiencing these issues, and also look at the challenges involved. It is suitable both for those with no awareness of this subject, as well as those supporting young people with this type of behaviour, and approaches this often difficult and distressing subject with sensitivity. We will also be exploring the meteoric rise in body image issues in young people and the wider impact this can have on mental wellbeing, and consider ways in which we can support young people to gain better self-image.
- Look at what constitutes an eating disorder, and some of the most common eating disorders affecting young people.
- Empathically consider the experiences and perspectives of a young person who has an eating disorder.
- Explore the relationship between body image, eating behaviour and self esteem.
- Explore the spectrum of eating behaviours and links to a young person’s emotional and mental health.
- Determine supportive and unhelpful ways of responding to a young person with an eating disorder, including strategies to build self esteem.
- Identify avenues for seeking support and information around the issue of eating disorders