ATL is recognised by more independent sector employers than any other union. Approximately 100 independent schools negotiate staff terms and conditions with ATL, of which roughly half include all support staff as well as teachers.
As a modern trade union, ATL believes in the ethos of the school community and that the contribution of all staff is equally important. Consequently, ATL welcomes into membership all staff working in the independent sector: teachers and teaching assistants, technicians and librarians, office administration and cleaners, grounds and caretaking staff.
In addition to all the usual services you would expect such as first-class advice and support, ATL commits considerable resources to supporting our members in the independent sector.
ATL is the only trade union to offer all of the following:
- staff solely dedicated to the independent sector
- your local ATL branch, which can help you with any questions or issues that you have (use our 'find my branch' facility on the bottom right-hand side of the page to find one local to you)
- an elected member advisory group, the Independent and Private Sector Advisory Group, which advises ATL's Executive Committee
- a termly newsletter on independent sector issues
- the annual Independent Schools Conference, with keynote speakers and seminars, and the opportunity to meet other colleagues in the sector, as well as ATL's annual pay and conditions survey of the sector
- dedicated publications such as ATL's guide Working in the Independent Sector and our Work-life Balance Toolkit for Teachers in Independent Schools
- tailored training courses, such as Being our independent school representative
- campaigns, such as ATL's campaign against the culture of working excessive hours in the independent sector.