We will send you a welcome pack, which includes:
- an introductory letter with a list of ATL members in your school or college
- our guide to being a rep (a downloadable PDF of this is available in the 'see also' list to the right of this page)
- an ATL noticeboard header
- an ATL magnet for the staff room.
There are a number of things you can do to get started in your role:
- Introduce yourself in person to your headteacher/principal as ATL rep and confirm this in writing to them. Download a model letter for doing this here.
- Make sure you have an up-to-date list of all ATL members in your workplace. A list will be sent to you in your welcome pack, with an updated list being sent to you once a year. If you want to check you have the most up-to-date list, contact our membership team on email; or tel: 0207 782 1602.
- Introduce yourself to your local branch secretary. They can be a very good source of assistance and support. For contact details, visit our find my branch page.
- Make sure you have the latest posters, recruitment materials, etc from ATL to display on the staff noticeboard. Many of these will be sent to you automatically. You can also check out what is available in the publications and resources section of our website (you will find a link on the home page) and you can order further supplies from ATL's publications despatch on email or tel: 0845 4500 009.
- Finally, it is highly recommended that all reps take part in ATL's Being a rep training course.
Need further advice?
Your first point of contact is your ATL/AMiE rep in your school or college. Your local ATL/AMiE branch is also available to help with queries, or you can contact AMiE's member advisors on tel: 0345 8118111 or email us. Please have your membership number to hand when telephoning and include it with any correspondence - this will help us to answer your query more quickly.